Monday, January 2, 2012

Parent Update

Parents-

As I was planning my lessons for the week, a co-worker informed me that snow was headed our way!  Now, as I am sitting here, I cannot help but smile as the beautiful snow is falling to the ground.  I must say that regardless of the season, God always finds a way to make a magnificent creation!  I think it is safe to say that winter has officially arrived!  

Over Christmas break, I met up with a former teacher of mine who gave me some advice for my snow packets.  Originally, I had a "method to my madness" on how I was setting up the packets.  However, she gave me some great advice on different activities that I should consider including. With that being said, over Christmas break I spent some time "tweeking" my packets.  I will need to reprint my final draft and make copies.  However, it looks like tomorrow may be our first snow day.  That is perfectly okay!  If we do not have school, I just want the students to enjoy another day off spending time with family and friends! 

I want to take the time to update you about the last quiz that the students took on descriptive writing.  Many of the students did great, but I had a few students who did not get one question correct.  I wanted to let you know that if your child did not do good on the quiz, that I do drop the lowest quiz grade.  Also, quiz grades do not count as much as test scores.  On the other hand, we do spend each day reviewing for our weekly quizzes.  As the students were taking notes, I made sure to highlight the important details that they needed to know for their quiz.  However, we all have days when we do not do our best.  Therefore, if your child was one of the students who did not do well, just remember that I do drop the lowest quiz grade. 

I am trying to help build study habits with the kids.  I have explained how important it is to look over material every night for a little while instead of trying to cram at the last minute.  As they are getting older, they will begin to cover more material that will require them to spend a little more time with their studies.  As we start working our way into the second half of the year, I want the students to work on being more accountable for their work.  They are getting ready to head off the middle school, so if we can work together on building these habits, I think we will help the kids out tremendously.   I have confidence that each of them will appreciate this new level of responsibility.  I must say that I am highly impressed with them so far!  I definitely have some smart cookies who LOVE to learn, and they have made this year so enjoyable! 

As always, if you have any question you can send me an e-mail or call me, and my planning is from 2:10-2:40.  I look forward to seeing my kiddos.  I sure have missed them!



No comments:

Post a Comment